Pages

Thursday 29 September 2011

Story Writing

Wow, times flies when you are online and flying through resources!  I found so many lovely story writing sites, but these two especially caught my eye.

The first one is Word Tamer - it is visually a very pleasing site with a real feeling of adventure!  You have a 'live' narrator who guides you through the process of your story.

You can choose:
  • your character's traits
  • their hair
  • their eye colour
  • their size, etc.

You are then led on to jot down information about your character:
  • where they live
  • what they like
  • what they don't like
  • who there friends are, etc.

You can choose a few words to incorporate into the story too.  I think that I will try this with my older children this term!


The other one I liked, I think may be more suited to younger children, but, having said that, I felt like writing something seeing the funny combinations that popped up!  This is from Story Starters.


  • Enter your name
  • Then pull the "SPIN" handle
  • Each section comes up with an idea
  • If you don't really like the idea, you can press the button in that section for a "Re Spin"
  • From there you select the format you want your writing to take: "Notebook, Letter, Newspaper or Postcard"
  • Begin to write
  • There is also a space for budding illustrators should they wish to add a drawing
  • Print!
So often children's stories are tied in with their favourite movie, or TV program, even their characters are, at times, a re-hash of a character that they already like.

This is why I love these ideas. I feel TV has had a negative impact on our imagination and so I like the idea of re-engaging imagination and fantasy - We will be surprised what our children come up with, I am sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your ideas and thoughts